Saturday 27 April 2013

#8. Cafe Seoul, Pyeongyang Style!


Sorry this post has taken so long to go up! But... I've been having a serious case of writer's block in light of today's topic. About two weeks ago, every headline on each major broadcast station was about North Korea threatening to declare war on the South and American islands... But now, the news have died down and once a while there are blips on the radar regarding this topic, but nothing to worry about now! The value of the Korean won is improving, so those who are travelling to South Korea soon, quick go change your currency!

Anyway, it makes me sick writing about North Korea because of the horrible amount of unbelievable things that go on within the hermit kingdom. In that place, people are starving that reports of cannibalism happen, malnutrition, torture and public executions are considered normal and well apparently, Kim Jong Un(stable) is regarded like a god. Despite it being called the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), democracy does not exist in that place. It's cold, dark and sad.

North Koreans must abide by one of 28 approved haircuts. Unmarried women must have short hair, but married woman have many more options. The hair of young men should be less than 2 inches long, older men can go as long as 2¾ , according to a Taiwanese website WantChinaTimes. Don't know how accurate that information is, but I wouldn't be surprised. I remember once watching on E! Entertainment that one of the biggest spenders on Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy products is actually North Korea. It was mostly on alcohol. Also, the presidential family had a penchant for Rolls Royce.

If in any way you are offended by the jokes made in this episode, it is totally understandable. More people should be more aware of the repulsive situation in North Korea, and even though very little can be done about it, things can still be done. A quick search on Google will bring up organizations that you can join to help people who want to escape the horrible regime. Also, it makes me very thankful to be born in a country where it is quite safe, that I know that I wouldn't have someone hiding in the stair well with a syringe and demanding me to give him all my money. (Hell, I had that experience in Melbourne and it was NOT COOL.)

Anyhow, I didn't quite like this episode... it wasn't really very funny and the topic was just... ugh. But what I really did like was... The Boy's Talk segment that comes right after Girls' Talk. HAHAHA, it cracked me up. And I do have to commend one of the guys, Eugene for his French accent. I thought his French accent was funnier than the entire podcast so... Good job Eugene! Till the next episode of Cafe Seoul, I'm signing out!


Also don't forget to tune in to Cafe Seoul here every bi-weekly Thursday for your latest instalment of Cafe Seoul coming out 2 May at 6pm (KST)!

No comments:

Post a Comment